- The Andhra Pradesh State Film Development Corporation was established on 10th October, 1975 for the development of Film Industry in the State.
- The Corporation was renamed as Andhra Pradesh State Film, Television & Theater Development Corporation w.e.f. 13.11.1998.
- The mission of the Corporation is to ensure and place the Telugu Film Industry and theater arts on a firm footing in the State through sustained efforts.
- To encourage setting up of Business units of Cinematograph Trade and Industry including setting up of infrastructure units, studious, Dubbing theatres etc.
- To encourage establishment and maintenance of Acting Schools for imparting knowledge connected to Cinema, Television and Theater in the State of Andhra Pradesh.
- To encourage growth of Film, Television and Theater arts in the State of Andhra Pradesh and to give NANDI AWARDS every year.
- To function as single window agency of the Government of Andhra Pradesh for the redressal of grievances of Film & Television Industry and Telugu Theater.
Details of Core Functions:
1. To encourage setting up of Business units of Cinematograph Trade and Industry including setting up of infrastructure units, studious, Dubbing theatres etc.
- The Government provided land at concessional rate for establishment of film studios and infrastructure units undivided state of AP.
- After formation of new State, the Government of Andhra Pradesh vide G.O.Ms.No.116 General Administration (I&PR) Department dated 21.8.2018 granted tax concession for the feature films produced in the State of Andhra Pradesh.
2. To encourage establishment and maintenance of Film and TV institute for imparting knowledge connected to Cinema, Television and Theater in the State of Andhra Pradesh.
- The Government agreed to establish FILM & TELEVISION INSTITUTE at Amaravathi and constituted a Committee under the Chairmanship of the Chairman, APSFTVTDC vide G.O.Ms.No.84, General Admn. (I&PR) Dept. dated 5.7.2017 with directions to study and submit a detailed report about the project.
3. To encourage growth of Film, Television and Theater arts in the State of Andhra Pradesh and to give NANDI AWARDS every year.
- In order to encourage production of films with high technical and aesthetic values bearing cultural, educational and social relevance and also promoting National integration and unity, the Government has introduced the scheme of State NANDI AWARDS for such films produced in Telugu Language.
- The scheme was transferred to the Corporation in the year 1998 and since then the Corporation is continuing this activity.
- From 1998 onwards the NANDI AWARDS were introduced for Television Film and also Telugu Theater, in addition to Nandi Awards to feature films.
- NANDI THEATER AWARDS competitions were completed till 2017.
- Selections for NANDI FILM AWARDS and NANDI T.V. FILM AWARDS for the years 2012 to 2016 were completed and announcements relating to awardees were also made. However, the awards are yet to be presented to the Awardees.
- Apart from NANDI FILM AWARDS, the State Government is also giving National and other State Awards in the field of cinema viz., NTR NATIONAL FILM AWARDS, B.N. REDDY NATIONAL FILM AWARDS, NAGIREDDY-CHAKRAPANI NATIONAL FILM AWARD and RAGHUPATHI VENKAIAH STATE FILM AWARD. Sections for the years 2012 to 2016 were also completed and announcements made. These Awards will be presented along with the NANDI FILM AWARDS Presentation Function.
- The Government is organizing TELUGU NATAKA RANGA DINOTSAVAM every year on 16th April on the birth day of late Sri Kandukuri Veresalingam Panthulu, who is the first Modern Telugu Play-writer, by organizing functions at District and State Head Quarters whereat eminent theater personalities will be honored with cash awards.
- The State Government is giving Telugu Atma Gourava Puraskaralu to eminent people in the fields of Fine Arts, Literature, Science, Social Service and Sports etc.
4. To function as single window agency of the Government of Andhra Pradesh for the re-dressal of grievances of Film & Television Industry and Telugu Theater.
- The Corporation has been authorized by the Government to grant shooting permissions to film producers to shoot their films in all the Government locations and public places.
- The Corporation was also authorized for production of News Reels and Documentaries on various developmental activities and welfare measures taken up by the Government. Every week the Corporation is releasing short film in all the cinema theaters in the State utilizing the services of digital service providers.
- The Act is being implemented by the Home Department
- Under the provisions of Cinematography Act, Joint Collectors are the licensing authorities to issue/renew licences in respect of Cinema Theaters in the State based on the issuance of “No Objection Certificate” by the Corporation.
- The Corporation was declared as Nodal Agency vide G.O.Rt.No.1816, General Admn. (I&PR) Department dated 17.08.2017 for introduction of ON LINE TICKET BOOKING FOR CINEMA THEATERS IN THE STATE.